Quarter 1 2019
|Road freight activity, Quarter 1 2017-2019|
|Q1 2017||Q1 2018||Q1 2019||% change Q1 2018-2019|
|Tonnes carried (thousand)||34,946||35,589||36,579||2.8%|
|Vehicle kilometres (million)||373||385||418||8.6%|
|Average number of vehicles (number)||105,322||113,555||123,475||8.7%|
|Laden journeys (thousand)||3,044||3,252||3,488||7.3%|
Road freight tonnage increased by 2.8% in Quarter 1 2019
- In the first quarter of 2019, a total of 36.6 million tonnes of goods was transported by road. This represents an increase of 2.8% when compared with the same period in 2018. See table 1.
- Activity measured as weight by distance (tonne-kilometres) increased by 4.6% to 2,890 million tonne-kilometres in the first quarter of 2019 when compared with the same quarter in 2018.
- There were an estimated 123,475 goods vehicles (greater than 2 tonnes unladen weight) on the roads in Ireland in Quarter 1 of 2019, which was 8.7% higher than in the same period in 2018.
- The total distance covered by road freight transport in the second quarter was 418 million kilometres.
- The commodity group ‘Quarry products, metal ores and peat’ represented one quarter (25.9%) of all tonnes carried. See table 2.
Import/export workCarriage of livestockCarriage of other farm produce from farmsCarriage of fertilisers, feeding stuffs, etc. to farmsDelivery of goods to road works or building sitesDelivery of goods to retail outletsDelivery of goods to wholesalersDelivery of materials and fuels to factoriesDelivery of goods to householdsOther workSource: CSO IrelandFigure 2 Quantity of goods carried by main type of work, Quarter 1 2019Tonnes carried (million)0246810121416
View Table in Statbank Show Table 1: Road freight activity by business of owner, Quarter 1 2017-2019 Show Table 2: Road freight activity by commodity group carried, Quarter 1 2019 Show Table 3: Road freight activity by main type of work, Quarter 1 2019 Show Table 4: Domestic transport activity classified by region of origin, Quarter 1 2019 Show Table 5: Road freight activity by country of origin, Quarter 1 2019 Show Background Notes